Face Detection Demo App Hangs

|||Face Detection Demo App Hangs
Face Detection Demo App Hangs2019-05-20T17:27:19+00:00
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Dear all,

I have the camera module as well as the recommended TFT connected to Gapuino.

However, the display is showing all white and the console gives me nothing except:

> Start faceDection Demo Application
      (Oh there’s a typo in that btw. )

Of course I’ve set FROM_FILE to 0. Is there any trick that I’ve missed – for example soldering in R46/47?
      Is there sdk repo state in which this demo is known to be working?
      Actually, I wanted to show this at a tech show tomorrow. Therefore, I can’t dig into that now.

Note, the camera demo works, but the resulting image saved on the PC is stiched together in a wrong manner.

• Yao ZHANGYao ZHANG
      Keymaster

Hi Kaidoho,

Firstly, could you please verify your LCD model is: 2.8 TFT LCD Shield based on ili9341 controller
      This is which we recommanded and used in our applications.

Secondly, if you want to run this application with a LCD, please make sure: set both of these two parameters to 0:
      #define FROM_FILE 0
      #define SAVE_IMAGE 0

Normally this should work with GAPuino + Himax Camera Module + LCD (mentioned above)
      Please let us know whether you have other problems.

Best,
      Yao

• KaidohoKaidoho
      Participant

Good Evening,

thx for the quick response!

Defines are set to:

#define FROM_FILE 0
      #define SAVE_IMAGE 0

Jumper JP3:
      I’ve changed that one so that the expansion header uses 5V. That’s correct, right?

I’ve added some debug printfs so I can confirm that the board is running and passes LCD / Camera Init and starts processing.
      It seems to be related to the display. However, I’ve ordered exactly the one given in your link (in the manual).

Any thoughts on that? Some pullups missing?

In addition to that i’ve switched to the virtual machine proposed in the sdk setup instruction.

As a quick test for the LCD I’ve simply changed the backgound color -> no effect.

So, guess I will try now to read out the ID code of the display and see if it gives me something that makes sense or all 0 / FF

Regards
      Markus

• Yao ZHANGYao ZHANG
      Keymaster

No. As the doc of TFT LCD has mentioned, the pull-ups have been already implemented.
      Furthermore, on the website, they said “As of Oct 26, 2018 this board has the I2C pullups connected to IOREF rather than 5V so it’s more compatible with 3.3V boards”
      So please try with 3.3V.
      As I don’t have the same LCD board at home, I am afraid I cannot give you any reference till tomorrow morning. Sorry for this.

Yao

• KaidohoKaidoho
      Participant

Ok thx, I’ll go back to 3V3. I just followed what they mentioned on their schematics.

Well, basically I’ve still got 12 hours to make it work. So any good input is still warm welcome. 🙂

Another question, how can I make the board boot always from hyperflash.

PLPBRIDGE_FLAGS+= -f -hyper

works over reset but not over power cycle

• Yao ZHANGYao ZHANG
      Keymaster

Hi,

In fact, there’s a small problem in this version. We cannot boot always from hyper flash until we burn the efuse.
      Therefore, two way to do this:
      1, obviously is burning the efuse. But that’s a one shot operation.
      2, using the flags you mentioned to boot from flash. Then, don’t unplug the usb and connect with your external power (battery, etc) via the 9V connector. Then you can remove the usb without doing a power cycle.

BTW, the LCD works now?

Best
      Yao

• KaidohoKaidoho
      Participant

Hi,

no the display is not working…and just ran into the next problem.

FATAL ERROR: Failed to initialize cable with error: Did not find an adv debug unit in the chain, exiting

• Yao ZHANGYao ZHANG
      Keymaster

Hi,

Just got office, and got a try with all new clone from github.
      The application works well with the LCD on 3.3V, and two flag to 0.

And for your new problem:
      1, Could you make sure that your gapuino is connected with your Ubuntu Session?
      2, Could you please check your version of gap_sdk and all its submodules is aligned with github?
      If not, please do a new clone or update it:
      cd gap_sdk
      git checkout master && git pull
      git submodule update –init –recursive
      make clean all
      Then retry the application or any examples.

Best,
      Yao

• KaidohoKaidoho
      Participant

Hi Yao,

I’ve confirmed that the display works when connected to an Arduino Uno.

Now, there’s a 5V/3V3 level shifter. Have you removed that one and bridged the connections?

How would I burn the efuse?

a) Yes the other demos that I’ve tried work
      b) Toolchain SDK is up to date running on the OS virtual box mentioned in the manual
      c) display works with arduino
      d) Downloading programs – works / works not sometimes they do sometimes they dont

e) I am picky on that voltage levels because when i set the Jumper to 3V3 – the signals go only up to 1V8. That’s not going to work out having a 5V/3V shifter on the other side.

• Francesco PaciFrancesco Paci
      Keymaster

The Jumper J3 should shortcut B and C pins as in the manual:

https://gwt-website-files.s3.amazonaws.com/gapuino_um.pdf

On the Gapuino there are some pins that outputs 1.8 (it is a design bug) there is a list at the very bottom of the PDF. But this does not impact the lcd operation.

Francesco Paci

• KaidohoKaidoho
      Participant

Ok final try. Do you have an *elf. or bin or something of this Demo that I can simply burn into this device that will stay in there persistently?

Dear Yao,

thx a lot for sending me the binary and your support on this issue.

One thing that I had to find out – our company IT does not like you – aehm ok, to be more precise the USB debug interface.
      As soon as I disconnect from the company network some less restrictive USB rules apply and I am finaly able to download firmware reliably.
      Unfortunatelly, that was already 10 minutes too late. The good thing is, I haven’t burned the efuse so when there’s some time I can review what was really going wrong.
      I tried various VMs and PCs, the simple demos worked everywhere with some issues related to the debug interface (Win Host / Linux Guest USB bridge). So as you can’t reproduce the “bug” I don’t think it’s related to software.
      Anyway, if I find something relevant I ll post.

Thx!
      Markus

• Yao ZHANGYao ZHANG
      Keymaster

Dear Markus,

We are so sorry that we cannot help you more on this.
      Otherwise, we are still really curious about the problems. To find out the problem, I suggest to do a exchange with you.
      Shall we send you another GAPuino Combo + LCD, which would has been validated from our side, and could you please send us yours?
      Therefore, we could give a try from our side, try to reproduce and understand the problem. This will help us to improve and optimize our SW, HW and Service.

In addition, please tell us if you have any suggestions and feedback on our product.
      Thanks in advance.

Best,
      Yao

• KaidohoKaidoho
      Participant

Dear Yao,

thanks a lot for your offer, but I was convinced that this must be related to something pretty trivial.

I’ve had some time today to have a closer look at it.

You recommend the Adafruit 2.8” TFT Touch Shield v2 which can be found here:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1947

The schematic for it is here:

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/assets/000/027/040/medium800/adafruit_products_cap_touch28_tft.png

Some notes on how it should be connected are here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8-tft-touch-shield-v2/connecting

From the schematic I’d say that the ICSP_* signals are not connected. For example, ICSP_SCK is not connected to SCLK_5V. Instead, SCLK_5V is connected to Shield Pin D13 – which is in turn the SPI Clk coming from GAPuino. In addition to that, their manual states:

Digital #13 or ICSP SCLK – This is the hardware SPI clock pin. By default its digital #13. By cutting a jumper and soldering another on the back, you can move this line from #13 to the ICSP clock pin. This pin is used for the TFT, microSD and resistive touch screen data clock

Haha, on the back of my Adafruit 2.8” display there’s a comment that says “Default ICSP”. Thus, I have to cut the jumper wires connecting CLK, MISO and MOSI to ICSP and solder in the bridges to connect the signals to D13-D15.

There are two versions of this display. One has resistive touch, the other one was designed later and has capacitive touch. Is it possible that you have one with resistive touch? Is it further possible that the one with resistive touch matches to their schematic / manual?

Having made the required changes to the Adafruit display your demo application works fine!

Regards Markus

• Yao ZHANGYao ZHANG
      Keymaster

Hi Makus,

Great!!!! Thank you very much for your effort, and your information, which is really helpful for us and other users.
      We have compared rapidly our LCD (version E487316), which has ICSP not connected.
      I will document this in our DOC asap.

Thanks again.
      Best
      Yao

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Face Detection Demo App Hangs’ is closed to new replies.